This is the online application for the National Federation of the Blind scholarship program. This annual program is the largest of its kind in the country and awards more than $250,000 in cash and prizes to blind scholars across the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico in recognition of their achievements and professional aspirations. We are excited to get to know you.
Getting Started for 2023
To be considered for a scholarship, please review the eligibility requirements and complete the application. This application process includes the application form, required documents listed in checklist, and one interview. You may start your application and return to the application to complete it at a later date. The checklist and FAQs are available at any time to assist you. Please note: an application must be submitted with all required materials prior to the submission deadline.
Important dates to remember:
- Applications Open: December 1
- Deadline to Submit Complete Application: March 31
Please review the eligibility requirements below prior to beginning your application. Eligible applicants must complete and submit their entire application in order to be considered for a scholarship. This includes the application form, required documents listed in the checklist, and one interview. You may start your application and return to the application to complete it at a later date. The checklist and FAQs are available at any time to assist you. Please note: an application must be submitted with all required materials prior to the submission deadline.
- Must be legally blind in both eyes. Confirmation of Legal Blindness (PDF).
- Must be residing in the United States, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico.
- Must be 18 years of age by July 1, 2023.
- Must be pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time, post-secondary course of study in a degree program at a U.S. institution in the fall of the year of application (one scholarship may be given to a person employed full-time while attending school part-time).
- Must participate in person in the entire NFB National Convention and in all of its scheduled scholarship program activities (finalists will receive financial assistance to attend the national convention).
For more information regarding eligibility, we strongly encourage you to review the additional resources for completing the application.
Resources for Completing the Application
Prior to starting the application, review the checklist and FAQs for important details. As you move through the application, the checklist and FAQs will be available for you at any time.
2023 Scholarship Submissions Checklist
2023 Available Scholarships
Thank you for your interest in this transformative opportunity. The National Federation of the Blind is so grateful for our many partners who fund our scholarships or provide additional gifts and prizes making this one-of-a-kind scholarship program possible.